Monday 18 February 2008

Screw This!


I was having a problem with a laptop. It kept restarting randomly after giving the dreaded blue screen for a split second. No software problems to report. So I decided to take it apart to check if the fan still works, thinking maybe the problem was over-heating. 22 Screws later I finally managed to remove the casing. That amount of screws seems excessive. Suppose 4 of them were holding the hard drive in place. I always did prefer working on desktops! But the good news is its back working now. I put the 2.5' Hard-drive into an external enclosure to back up all the data and then proceeded to format the disk. Using the BIOS recovery diagnostics I managed (with some help) to re-install XP and so far (3 days) no random restarts. So YEAH!! Just goes to show you formatting is the ultimate way to fix computers problems.

No comments: