Saturday 2 February 2008

Bank Job - Special Agent 00(7)00

So yesterday I trudged through the snow infested city that was Limerick. I had to visit the bank to make a rather urgent lodgement. I entered the premises which will remain nameless. There was a small queue of elderly people at the counter, so I made my way toward the ATM/Lodgement machine. This, as the name suggests will take lodgements as well as withdrawals. Delighted at beating the queue, I jammed in my crumpled cheque into the machine. It was rejected the first time, but the machine managed to scan the cheque on the second attempt. After the message "Transaction Completed", a "ATM Out of Service" message popped up, and no receipt was printed. I immediately ventured over to Customer Service. She approached the ATM, used her bunch keys to open it, and right in front of me continued, by....... entering the password - "0000" What the hell?! The administrator password to the ATM inside a main city bank is zero four times. The manager should be sacked, no shot. The ATM was then opened up, and I got to see its guts. A fairly complex set of circuitry attached to a scanner, and some more nerdy stuff. It's built on top of a safe. That looked secure but I wonder is the password to the safe "0000" as well? I'd put some money on that :)


No comments: